Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Austen and Zombies and Handkerchiefs?

I do love the discrete charm of old-world accessories.

Handkerchiefs, to wit, remind me of a time less committed to disposable culture (though more committed to doing the laundry).

I’ve been reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies these past few days (as a bit of a chaser to Silas Lapham), and think that these smart modernized handkerchiefs from Tamielle would be perfect for wiping the brow of Lizzy Bennet after she disposes of Lady Catherine de Bourgh during their athletic encounter.

But she’ll have to wait in line, for the handkerchief in the photo above belongs to Mr. C, whose bottle-green racer will never need mechanical work.

Do any gentle readers carry a handkerchief?

8 comments:

Angie Muresan said...

My dad carries a handkerchief in his pocket every day. When I was young it was my job to iron them once a week. They are so pretty to see, but not too hygienic.

(P.S. In case you haven't received my email, you are the first place winner of the giveaway and a selection between those two design books and an address is needed.)

Jennifer said...

I guess that technically I do carry a handkerchief, though not to sneeze into... I have one from Liberty that I keep in my handbag to blot any facial perspiration that might occur. It works much better than a tissue (no risk of embarrassing tissue lint on my face).

Anonymous said...

They are the most wonderful hankies and yes I do carry one in my handbag most of the time (ironed and clean though, very miss tiggywinkle!)

materfamilias said...

Occasionally I do -- every once in a while, I can't resist buying myself one or two when I'm near an Irish Linen shop -- they're so pretty, if not so practical.
And I have an older, more utilitarian one -- the white centre is bordered by an inch of red-and-green check -- that was my dad's. It's often at hand if I have a miserable cold -- my dad was a great nurse (not by training, but in spirit), and his hankie brings a tiny bit of that to my side when I'm ill. (I agree with Angie, above, that handerchieves are not as hygienic as Kleenex, but luckily we don't have to hand-was them these days!)

La Belette Rouge said...

No, I don't. I prefer disposable tissues. Handkerchiefs are more elegant and yet I may be too germaphobic to fully appreciate their charms.

Elizabeth said...

I don't, but I've contemplated it. I think I'm ready, since I'm already tucking tissues up the cuffs of my cardigans.

(Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. It'll ruin my street cred.)

WendyB said...

I was very amused by that book. My father used to carry a hanky. Hmm...maybe he still does. I will investigate.

Susan said...

I always have one in my bag. I own a number of pretty embroidered hankies, and some with tatted or crocheted lace. Since my father died, I've taken to carrying one of his with me. It's comforting to wipe my tears with his handkerchiefs.