Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Olympia Le-Tan's Book Bags

I don’t like to watch films or plays about English professors because it’s too much like going for a long walk on a mail carrier’s holiday. I also avoid professorial style cliches, like sensible shoes, and any other ones you can think of.

However, I’ve just learned of both a witty and beautiful way to integrate my career into my personal style.

Visiting Rollergirl yesterday, I was overcome by the “book bags” from Olympia Le-Tan, Parisian designer, that the always savvy Rollergirl photographed and posted on her site.



These clutches, which I like to call “pocketbooks” (always an editor) are embroidered representations of first-edition literature covers.

Here’s a selection: voici the Lolita bag next to the actual book.



Then there’s Moby Dick, if you like long novels . . .




And Arthur Miller’s The Misfits, if your style is, shall we say, edgy and experimental . . .


And Steinbeck’s The Pearl (and just look at the Liberty fabric inside!) for a classic individual.




My favorite is Carson McCullers’ pocketbook, far above. Rollergirl’s site better captures the really pretty green of the cover.

These pocketbooks (book bags!) will be available at Browns. I know I’ll be checking the online shopping site daily!

11 comments:

materfamilias said...

How very clever! I'm sure you've asked to be paged when they're available for purchase . . .

Angie Muresan said...

Leave it to you Miss C. to make me reconsider whether I'd ever find myself carrying such pocketbooks.

Miss Cavendish said...

Mater, I've bookmarked the website . . .

Null said...

I love the possibility for expression here. In the era of the Kindle (and the frustration I have not being able to "read" people on the subway), I like how I can get a glimpse of people's literary longings.

PEM is fab, isn't it. It's a must-see every time I'm on the Northshore. I actually got my wedding cake designer from the "Wedded Bliss" exhibition.

M said...

Well, I am a bookworm, but I am still not sure I would be carrying this clutch! It is a fun idea, though...

Belle de Ville said...

These are very clever indeed.

La Belette Rouge said...

This is taking book bags to a whole new level. I hope their is a Salinger bag in the works. Maybe not, J.D. might sue.

Miss Cavendish said...

Bien sur: there is a "Catcher in the Rye" bag!

materfamilias said...

Ha! Of course you have. . .

Angie Muresan said...

Regarding your earlier message to me: I would never consider you rude! I know you to be too classy for that sort of behavior.

Elizabeth said...

"The Misfits" is my favorite, due to the super-sharp graphic design.